Lato nadeszło, a wraz z nim upalne dni i relaks nad wodą w promieniach słońca. Sprawdźmy jak słowa, automatycznie kojarzące się z sezonem letnim, czyli słońce, woda czy ocean, mogą nabrać zupełnie innego znaczenia :) So let’s make hay while the sun shines!
- the sun is splitting the stone - it’s very very hot - jest upalnie
The sun was splitting the stone so we sheltered under a tree.
- to make hay while the sun shines- to do sth immediately, while the situation is favourable, with no delay- kuć żelazo póki gorące
This offer is fantastic! Make hay while the sun shines!
- to find your place in the sun - to be in a situation that makes you happy and fulfilled- odnaleźć szczęście w życiu
It seems that Canada really suits her, she found her place in the sun.
- a fish out of water - to feel uncomfortable in a particular situation -czuć się nieswojo
At the beginning I felt like a fish out of water, but after a while I got used to a new situation.
- to be in hot water- to be in a problematic situation in which you can be punished - mieć kłopoty
She didn’t listen to our warnings and got into hot water.
- to be under water- not making enough money to meet financial obligations- mieć problemy finansowe
Due to changes on the stock market he is under water now.
- to come rain or shine- to do sth no matter what the situation is like- bez względu na pogodę, okoliczności
She decided to take up that challenge, come rain or shine.
- to take a shine to someone- to be attracted to a new person- poczuć do kogoś miętę, bardzo kogoś polubić
We took a shine to each other after a short chat in a pub.
- Rise and shine!- Get out of bed and be lively and energetic! - pobudka
Rise and shine, we have no time to waste.
- a drop in the ocean -a very small amount of sth, not as much as is needed - kropla w morzu potrzeb
I don’t think this amount of money can change anything, it’s a drop in the ocean.
- oceans of something- a very large amount of something -masa czegoś
We’ve got oceans of ideas, the problem is we don’t put them into practice.
- to boil the ocean- to waste one’s time trying to do the impossible -tracić czas
I’m boiling the ocean doing this exercise, I will never understand how to do it properly!
- heat wave- a period of time in which the weather is extremely and persistently hot- upał
It’s the third heat wave in our country this summer.
- to heat someone up- to make someone annoyed- zdenerwować kogoś
She heats me up talking about nobody else but herself.
- in the heat of the moment- if you say or do something in the heat of the moment, you say or do it without thinking, automatically because you are angry or excited- pod wpływem chwili
I’m really sorry for what happened yesterday. I said it in the heat of the moment, I didn’t really mean that.
A że lato w pełni, dajmy się ponieść cudownym letnim dźwiękom przy Summer song by Leddra Chapman :)